Oct 16, 2011

The wide world

There are some stories that you hear, watch or read, and you'll never be able to look at the world exactly the same before. The ones that awaken. I'd like to share some of the things that have done that to me and I'd love to hear more. We are all such a small part of this huuuge, wide world.

Here's my list. I added only books this time because I have such a bad memory I don't remember all my favourite documents by name and most of my favourite movies of this kind are made from my favourite books. I truly recommend all these books. These stories make you think, widen your horizon, teach about different cultures and make you feel such an awe for these people. None of them just gave up and surrendered to their destiny. They all fought for a better life and now we can read their stories. 

1) Sold by Zana Muhsen
   A true story of a young British girl who was sold to be a wife of a boy she had never met to a country she had never been in(Yemen).
2) Infidel by Ayaan Hirsi Ali 
   A very eye-opening and thrilling true story of a Somali girl who was raised in a muslim culture and who escaped an arranged marriage and became a fighter for human rights
3) Slave by Mende Nazer
   A true story of a Sudan girl who was taken from her village and sold as a slave. As incredible it seems, this happened just about 10 years ago.
4) The tears of my soul by Kim Hyun Hee
   A true story of a North Korean girl who was trained to be an assassin
5) The white masai by Corinne Hoffmann
   A true story of a young Swiss woman who traveled to Kenya, fell in love and moved to a Masai tribe.
6) 3,096 days by Natascha Kampusch
   A true story of a German girl who was kidnapped as a child. And how she survived her captivity.
7) Only a daughter by Sarita Skagnes 
   A true story of a Indian girl who had the courage to fight the destiny and be more than just a daughter.
8) Wild Swans: Three daughters of China by Jung Chang
   The history of China in the eyes of the women of three very different generations.
9-10) Kiterunner/Thousand Splendid Suns by Khaleid Hosseini 
   I had to add this one to the list though they're not true stories. The books are heart wrenching stories based on the reality of life in Afghanistan.

...And yeah, these stories show, that no matter where we are from, we're not that different. We all want freedom, human rights, love and peace.

I am getting my fourth book shelve tomorrow, the other three are so full I really need it. I have a few books, haha!

No comments:

Post a Comment