Jan 9, 2012

Dragons and trolls

I've been listening to tons of "atheism vs religion" debates on Youtube this past week or so. And I'm really stunned by one thing the believing people say about atheism:
If there is no god, there is no reason for morals.

As I've told before, I'm an atheist. I don't believe in a higher power, or that there would be a creator who made the earth and people... and so on. But I still see myself a person with morals. I know I should not steal, hurt others, cheat or murder people. The belief that you need god to have morals is just weird. It makes it sound like people have no free will.

And if you study criminals, most of those people are persons of some religion or another, and still they do horrible crimes. And then there are doctors and other people, who help others, and they are atheists. Atheism doesn't change the fact that you still have to obey laws. And have morals. And really, it makes life even more precious, because atheists know this is it, this is the only life we have and there's nothing after it. You have to enjoy and love and do as much as you can. And to have a good life, it's much better to be good to others too and receive goodness from them. ^_^


This doesn't make it impossible for atheists to be wonderful artists either. You can compose amazing music, paint paintings or write fantasy without believing in a god. I love to read fantasy books about elves, dragons and trolls and I don't need a god for that. Nobody can take away people's imagination, and everything is possible in a persons mind. It doesn't have to be true to be wonderful... well, not in this world. ;D

No comments:

Post a Comment